"I'm not sure if I'm fascinated... or horrified."

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Wordsmittys

Lyrics of the Week:
Feel free to add anything that’s been haunting you.

“I’ll be around… you were right about the stars… each one is a setting sun.”
Wilco – Jesus,etc…

“I was born in an abundance of inherited sadness… and fifty cent picture frames bought at a five-and-dime.”
Whiskeytown – Jacksonville Skyline

“My mind ain’t full of nothing but cats and rocking chairs.”
Ryan Adams – Easy Plateau

“Looking into the mirror
Don't like what I see
Ain't looking like me
I want to be near her
There's no way in hell
And there's no time to tell her
Love will not find you tonight
When you're preaching love, thinking love
Holding back
What were you thinking
When black arrows
Shot at your bleeding heart?”
Whiskeytown – Black Arrow, Bleeding Heart


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You should also check out this album (though none of the above lyrics can be found on it).

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff-here's another.
And the world’s got me dizzy again
You think after 22 years I’d be used to the spin
And it only feels worse when I stay in one place
So I’m always pacing around or walking away
I keep drinking the ink from my pen
And I’m balancing history books up on my head
But it all boils down to one quotable phrase
If you love something, give it away
Landlocked Blues
Bright Eyes

12:08 PM

 
Blogger Brett said...

I'm a big fan of the first half of Black Arrow, Bleeding Heart:

Throwing rocks at a window / Stumble into a telphone pole / While the light shines down on your person / Filtering through all your aversions

1:07 PM

 
Blogger tracy said...

So that's right dude, meet me at the bleachers / No principles, no student teachers / Both of us want to be the winner, but there can only be one

Gwen Stefani
Hollaback Girl

Those words keep me awake at night. Such poetry.

12:20 PM

 
Blogger Brett said...

tracy - you have effectively crushed the soul of this sentimental geek. (i know what you're thinking in response: brett - shut up and go to sleep.)

i think good song lyrics tend to be sad b/c sad seems to carry more weight than happy. also i think people tend to take the time to emote more when they are sad than when they are happy. if someone is experiencing something happy, they don't want to stop the good times to write about it. also, in all honesty, life is sad or frustrating or broken more often than not - moments of redemption being few and far between. b/c the best music is honest, the best music reflects this. also it's easier to be jealous of (and thus not like) situations in which other people are happy or well off. on the flip-side it's easier to write about happy situations in a bragging (embellished) way, or in a way to pick up girls (see John Mayer's Heavier Things as an example).

That said, I do absolutely adore the lyric:

"In all that I've done wrong I know I must / have done something right to deserve a hug / every morning and butterfly kisses at night."

3:06 PM

 
Blogger Doug said...

Uh huh... I just laughed out-loud at my screen. I think that Brett gets the trophy for the week.
Click here for last week’s winner.

11:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The complaint was the answer. To have heard myself making it was to be answered...I saw well why the gods do not speak to us openly, nor let us answer. Till that word can be dug out of us, why should they hear the babble that we think we mean? How can they meet us face to face till we have faces?"

Clive Staples Lewis, Till We Have Faces

submitted by S.

10:46 PM

 
Blogger paul said...

All I need is a crew/
One that can act as if/
One that can stay on cue/
And sneeze and sniff/
Uh-huh/
Alright

Spoon - The Beast and Dragon, Adored

11:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home